The Homeplace Guest House Bed and Breakfast is located within easy traveling distance to many historical, educational and entertaining places of interest. Please use the Kentucky Department of Travel for an extensive list of attractions.
The “two stop-light town” of Wilmore is the home of Asbury University and Asbury Theological Seminary. Just a few minutes drive away is the historic Highbridge Park. Named for the railroad trestle built in 1877, Highbridge is an engineering marvel featured in the Smithsonian Institute, and has a breathtaking view of the Kentucky River Gorge.
Just 15 minutes away is Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, America’s largest restored Shaker community, including 34 original 19th-century buildings and 2,800 acres of farmland with numerous hiking trails complete with old mill sites, waterfalls, and scenic overlooks. Take an hour long ride along the picturesque Kentucky river on the Dixie Bell, a restored paddle boat.
Other area historical attractions include:
- Perryville Battlefield: One of the most pristine battlefields in the nation. Annual reenactments.
- Old Fort Harrod State Park: Preserving Kentucky’s pioneer history, the fort has been reconstructed near the site of the original.
- Camp Nelson Civil War Park: During the Civil War it was the third largest recruiting and training depot for African-American soldiers in the nation.
- Abbey of Gethsemani: Oldest monastery west of the Alleghenies. A beautiful, peaceful site & home for Trappist monks.
- Tour the homes of Henry Clay, Mary Todd Lincoln, Waveland and John Hunt Morgan Tour all for $15.00
- Kentucky Horse Park – A working horse farm and educational theme park hosting a variety of shows, exhibits, and competitions throughout the year.
- Keeneland Race Track– This thoroughbred race course, founded in 1936, is a National Historic Landmark. Watch morning workouts yearly or racing Spring & Fall.
- Horse Farm Tours – There are three ways to visit a horse farm. You can: Reserve a seat on a regular guided group tour; Hire a private guide to conduct a custom tour; or call farms and ask for an appointment.
- Big Red Stables – Harrodsburg, Ky. Enjoy more than 2,000 acres of beautiful riding space. Guided or unguided rides.
HIKING & NATURE:
- Raven Run Nature Sanctuary -Raven Run is a unique, 734-acre nature sanctuary dedicated to preserving the natural beauty of Kentucky.
- Kentucky River Palisades – The Kentucky River Palisades ecosystem project encompasses about 100 river miles. Limestone cliffs and wooded uplands along the river harbor the only virgin vegetation remaining in the Inner Bluegrass region.
- Asbury University Equine Center, Trails & Challenge Course